Isis bomb plots thwarted in Sydney; still the Liberals, Greens and ALP allow 1000 ‘refugees’ a day to enter
Liberals, Greens and Labor do the bidding of the United Nations
Sydney is no stranger to terrorism, but when police bashed down the door of a Surry Hills terrace last Saturday night, there was something different in the air.
The Cleveland Street home, raided as part of an anti-terror operation, is in one of the city’s most sought-after locales — a place where inner-city trendies sashay from bar to bar.
For an operation like this to happen in a suburb adjacent to the Harbour City’s sparkling CBD, is unnerving.
But it was here, and at four other locations around Sydney, police claim to have cut down one of the most sophisticated terrorist blueprints ever attempted on Australian soil
Authorities will allege they stopped two plans: the first to blow up a passenger plane with an improvised explosive device (IED) hidden in luggage, and another to unleash a potentially deadly gas bomb.
The weekend’s raids and arrests have prompted dramatic police claims, including IS sending bomb-making equipment Down Under, and a man’s plan to secret an IED inside his brother’s luggage which made it all the way into the nation’s busiest airport.
Let’s go back to April
Police claim Khaled Khayat, who was charged with terrorism-related offences, was put in touch with an IS controller by his brother — a senior member of the terrorist group in Syria.
Sometime between April 13 and mid-July, police claim an IS operative in Turkey sent a “high-military grade explosive” to Australia, which Khaled Khayat or his co-accused Mahmoud Khayat used to create an IED.
Police will allege that by July 15, the IED was built and on its way to Kingsford Smith Airport, bound for an Etihad passenger flight to the Middle East.
Authorities claim the explosives were hidden inside a meat grinder that Khaled Khayat had placed in the luggage of his brother, who was unaware he had been made a mule.
Police allege it was Khaled Khayat’s intention for the IED to be taken onto the plane, but that it did not get past baggage check-in, and Khaled Khayat removed it from the airport and dismantled it.
The brother left Australia on the flight and remains overseas.
What do police believe happened next?
After the alleged first plot was aborted, police claim the group turned its attention to creating a toxic hydrogen sulphide bomb, after a directive from an IS controller.
Police will allege discussions were had about how to create the device, including the amount of chemicals to be used.
Preliminary discussions were allegedly had about where and when to use it, with closed crowde
d spaces such as those typical on public transport mentioned.
However, authorities also say no concrete plans were made and the device was not close to being functional.
Hydrogen sulphide, or “rotten egg gas”, is a pungent and deadly chemical compound.
Lakemba features again
On July 26, UK and US intelligence agencies tipped off their counterparts in Australia about the alleged plot, and subsequently, the New South Wales Joint Counter-Terrorism Team (JCTT) was alerted.
Police said they placed suspects under surveillance.
Around that time, authorities said they built a mock IED and tested whether it could get through airport security. It didn’t.
By Friday, July 28 the JCCT, which is made up of officers from the Australian Federal Police and NSW Police, was ready to go ahead with the raids, and the following evening, July 29, they pounced.
Four men were arrested as part of the operation, and five properties in Surry Hills, Lakemba, Punchbowl and Wiley Park were searched.
Police will allege they found components of the chemical dispersion device and precursor chemicals during the execution of search warrants.
On Sunday, a magistrate granted police extra time to charge the men using special terrorism powers.
They were given seven days to charge the four men, but on Tuesday, a 50-year-old man was released.
On Thursday evening, Khaled Khayat, 49, and Mahmoud Khayat, 32, were each charged with two counts of acts done in preparations for, or planning, a terrorist act.
They did not appear at Parramatta Local Court, where bail was not applied for and was formally refused.
Outside court, their lawyer Michael Coroneos said: “My clients are entitled to the presumption of innocence.”
Answer religion question in August census or your town will soon be overrun with Islamics
Want a mosque next door?
Muslims occupy street outside Lakemba mosque in Sydney, 2013. (ABC file image)
If you don’t want a mosque built next to your place, we suggest you fill in the question asking about your religion in the August census. Do not leave it blank, because the nation’s 450,000 Muslims won’t miss their opportunity. At the very least insert ‘Christian.’
Firearms industry and gun owners claim NSW Firearms Registry has been compromised leading to gun theft
More than 2300 registered firearms have been stolen from private residences across NSW since 2009, prompting calls from the industry that the thefts were more than coincidence.
Fifty firearms and thousands of rounds of ammunition were stolen from registered NSW gun owners in one period of 16 days, with claims the firearms registry has been compromised.
One robbery victim had eight guns stolen within months of being audited by police and his new address added to the registry.
“I was audited by police in May last year and robbed in October. I had eight weapons stolen from a secure safe,” the victim said.
“I live in an estate of 70 homes and was the only place robbed. To me it was obvious I was targeted with information from somewhere.
“Call me cynical but it is too much of a coincidence.
“I have been in the same shooters club for years and never had a problem.”
In a number of cases since May 14, when the robberies began, entire gun safes have been removed from properties with weapons inside.
Officers said criminals could access the information through a variety of sources – not just the registry.
However dealers are not buying the explanation from police saying the registry would be a gold mine to criminals as it contained details of the types of weapons, where they were stored and addresses of owners.
“We have no evidence to suggest the information has come from the registry,” head of the firearms and organised crime squad Detective Superintendent Ken Finch said.
He said there was no investigation into the registry at the moment – but nothing had been ruled out.
Supt Finch agreed some of the recent thefts appeared to be targeted: “Most are in rural areas where people know locals have multiple weapons.”
Supt Finch said the registry was subject to strict audit provisions and not accessible by all police officers.
“Access is only granted by a local area commander when it is needed for an investigation.”
He said only a limited number of civilians had access and usage of the list was strictly monitored: “Gun clubs are another possible source of information. Some robberies could be opportunistic.”
No reported investigation has been conducted to date into NSW Firearms Registry information leaks and co-ordinated gun theft from registered owners.
Highly trained policewoman mistakes .40 cal pistol for Taser
Meanwhile a highly-trained policewoman Sergeant Sheree Bissett shot and killed a man at Lakemba who had mental issues and was harming himself, posing no threat to any other person.
Witnesses state Sergeant Bissett and three other female officers attended the incident where she tested her Taser several times then drew her Glock handgun and without any proper warning shot Salter in the back.
Deputy State Coroner Scott Mitchell said the critical incident investigation report, written by Detective Inspector Russell Oxford of the NSW Homicide Squad, was “seriously flawed” and he thought it is more likely than not that Sergeant Bissett mistakenly chose her Glock, having intended to employ her Taser.
The officers claimed to the NSW Police Integrity Commission Mr Salter grappled with Constable Abela before Sergeant Bissett shot him in the back, but paramedics and Mr Salter’s father said there was no contact.
Wilson, Abela and Metcalfe have been charged with perjury and giving false evidence, while Bissett has been charged with one count of giving false evidence to the commission. All four have been ordered to stand trial in Sydney’s Downing Centre on April 26, 2016.
These officers are still out there, not suspended, with guns, and the capabilities of fabricating evidence.
The public should be terrified that Sergeant Sheree Bissett who has difficulty distinguishing between a non-lethal Taser and a Glock .40 cal pistol, is still on duty with a firearm in her holster.